Stay connected. Below you will find the latest updates with the most recent on top. Feel free to contact me with any questions!
Welcome to October! Please check with your child and see how many books he/she read the month of September. Students who average one book a week will easily meet their book goal for the year. Continue to encourage and support at home reading. A minimum of 20 minutes a night is the expectation. Your support is appreciated! Let me know if you have any questions!
CAMP ST. CROIX:
- Don't forget the parent meeting tonight at 6:00 pm. We will meet in the library.
- Camp paperwork was sent home last week. Please return as soon as possible.
- Station rotations begin tomorrow. Students will be participating in three 20 minute stations. If time is used wisely, students should not have an abundance of homework.
- Ask your child to show you his/her math plan for this unit. It has been saved in his/her Google Drive. Not only will that plan keep students on track, but it will also provide them with the opportunity to self evaluate understanding. Should a student struggle with a concept, the following options are in place:
- Work with another student
- Utilize Khan Academy
- Meet with Mrs. Stubbendick
- More 5th graders this year than in the past seem to be struggling with basic math facts. Math this year will be far more challenging if students do not know their facts. Basic fact practice of 10 -15 minutes should happen every night for students that are still using fingers or skip counting. Currently, we are utilizing the Moby Max Math Fact Master program.
- Thank you to everyone that has signed up! There is still time!
- To support the concept of a student led classroom, students will be playing an active role in the Parent/Teacher conferences. We will be spending time this week setting goals, self evaluating strengths and weaknesses, and reflecting about behaviors and habits needed to be successful this year.
- A pre-conference questionnaire will be sent home shortly. Your feedback is appreciated.
MARK YOUR CALENDARS:
- Add these two dates
- Picture retake day - Monday, October 12th
- Cherry Berry Night - Monday, October 19th
Enjoy your week!
Another fabulous weekend is upon us. I hope you were able to enjoy it! Please read the following updates. If you have any questions feel free to contact me by email or by phone (between 8:00 and 8:30 am is the best time to reach me).
- The Unit 1 Checking Progress (test) is Monday! Students have completed and corrected the study guide. It is now their job to determine what skills they need to practice. They were suppose to bring their study guide home but Friday got a little crazy with our All School Meeting. If they did bring it home, answers can be checked again with the answer key that can be found on Google Classroom.
- Stations will begin on Wednesday. Students will be grouped according to their needs. Let me know if you have any questions.
- We will be testing Tuesday and Thursday mornings. Please try to avoid absences.
- Students can bring gum or mints for the testing.
CAMP ST. CROIX:
- The parent meeting is scheduled for Monday, October 5th at 6:00 pm. During our hour together, we will give an overview of what your child can expect and answer questions you may have.
- Camp paperwork work will be sent home later this week. Please return at your earliest convenience.
5th GRADE PHOTOBOOK
- Thanks to those that sent in a kindergarten picture of your child. Don't forget, if you aren't able to send it electronically, we can scan it at school.
- Keep saving those Coke points and send them in!
- It's time to sign up for conferences! This year we have gone electronic. Please log in to Skyward to choose a time that is convenient for you. Follow this link if you have questions on how to do this.
- Conferences are scheduled for October 15th and October 22nd.
- Last week we were fortunate to have a retired teacher friend of mine visit our classroom all the way from Adelaide, Australia! Not only did he spend time learning about us, our school, and our academics, he also taught us about his country and helped out with our lessons.
- To continue this adventure, we are going to have e-pals from Ocean View College in Adelaide. Ocean View is a k-12 campus and we will be corresponding with year 5 students (5th graders). Their new school year doesn't begin until January so we may not hear from anyone until February.
MARK YOUR CALENDAR
Sept. 29 Cookie Dough Fundraiser Ends
Sept. 29 Space Solutions Meeting at Willow River Auditorium @ 6:00 pm. Please go!
Sept. 30 Back to School Bingo 6:00 pm
Oct. 5 Camp St. Croix Parent Meeting at 6 pm
Oct. 12 Picture Retake Day
Oct. 13 Board Meeting 6:30 River Crest
Oct. 15 Conferences and Bookfair
Oct. 22 Conferences
Nov. 17 PTO Meeting at 6:30
Nov. 18-20 5th Grade Camp
Nov. 19 2nd & 3rd Grade Music Program 2:30 & 6:30
Nov. 24 End of the 1st Trimester Early Release 1:40
Nov. 25-27 Thanksgiving Break
Welcome to 5th grade. We had a great first week of school, and I am looking forward for that to continue. Every 1 - 2 weeks you will receive an update email from me. Feel free to respond if you have any questions!
Please visit our blog at http://5sbraintrain.blogspot.com/. Take 5 minutes to explore the tabs and learn even more of what your child can expect this year. In addition to our classroom blog, students will eventually create their own blogs. This personalized blog will be like a learning e-portfolio of your child's academic abilities and progress. Eventually, we will be asking you to be an active participant in our blogging experiences. Stay tuned!
- Day 1: PE
- Day 2: Music
- Day 3: Media and Life Skills
- Day 4: PE
- Day 5: Music
- Day 6: Art
Our daily schedule has also been attached to this email.
Patriot Day: Friday, September 11th
- Please celebrate with us! On Friday, the school, local heroes (EMT, veterans, police officers, firefighters, nurses, doctors, etc) parents and grandparents will meet outside by the flagpole at 9:00 am to honor all those that make our community, state, and country great. Spread the word and invite family or friends to this annual celebration.
- Don't forget to wear red, white, and blue!
- If you are entering the writing contest, your essay is due Wednesday.
Secondary Space Feedback Opportunity:
- At a meeting last week, the community was asked to provide feedback to 11 options that were put together based upon community survey results. The options range from building a new high school to building a new elementary school to redistricting school boundaries. The Secondary Space Committee would like to hear from you. Please follow the link below to read about the options and provide advantages and disadvantages to each option. The window to provide feedback will close on September 15th.
Camp St. Croix:
- November 18th - 20th
- A parent meeting will be scheduled for October
- More details will be coming
Verify you received this email
Please write in your child's assignment notebook you received this email. If you would like to add an email address or take one off this group list, just reply to let me know. Don't forget, these updates will be posted on our classroom blog at http://5sbraintrain.blogspot.com/.
Mark Your Calendars:
September 9th: 40 Book Challenge officially begins (check out the blog to learn more)
September 11th: Patriot Day Ceremony
September 15th: Volunteer Training at 6:00
Parent Group Meeting at 6:30
September 16th: Cookie Dough Fundraiser Kick-off (proceeds help to supplement Camp St. Croix costs)
September 24th: Late Start
September 30th: Back to School Bingo